Sunday, July 26, 2009

My head is out of the sand, and I don't want to do this!

I took my oldest daughter to her pediatrician the other day. She had fallen on the cement right before I had surgery, and hurt her knee. It was still bothering her some, so we had him check it out. That will just take time to fully heal.

While we were there, she asked me if she should tell him that she can't smell. I told her to mention it to him because we always forget to tell him that. She told him and he said, "HMMM!" He's never had a pediatric patient with that disorder (I forget the correct name, but I'm sure I'll get familiar with it) and he said one of the causes is a tumor pressing on one of the cranial nerves that makes us smell. So, he thinks she needs to see a neurologist. Since he said that, I said, "I also think she has something endocrine going on. She has the brown neck, elbows, knuckles, stretch marks, weight gain..." He knows all of my kids. We've been going to him for years. He knows she is different than the others. At least the 3 younger ones. He also knows I had Cushing's, so he said he thinks she needs to get checked out and see an Endocrinologist too. He's sending referrals into Children's, but I know she is not florid. If she has Cushing's, she is cyclical, and that will get us nowhere at Children's. I'm going to see if my endo takes her insurance and if we can get the referral to him instead.

I just want to stick my head back in the sand! I don't want to do this. I don't want to deal with this. I've seen it for years, and my husband commented once, before I was ever diagnosed, "Whatever you have, she has it too."

To top it all off and make matters worse, all of the rest of my hormones have taken their final bow. I'm replacing them now, but I just started that, and I just feel emotional. I feel like crying for no reason, or I feel grouchy with everyone, for no reason. I hate hormones! Why didn't they call them horrible moans? Anyway, add on the news of Ciera needing to test, that really makes me want to cry. I've known it for a long time, I just didn't want to deal with it. I've been in denial about it.

No comments: